Protecting Your Pool in Winter
Pools and spas are not cheap investments, so it’s important to keep them in tip top shape and lower the maintenance costs year-round. In this post, we’re going to talk about how you can prepare your pool and spa for winter so they’re ready to use once again come summer time. Remember, it’s a good idea to consult your pool builder before you start the winterizing process. We are a top pool builder in Katy and Houston, and can help you with your winter pool needs.
- If you live in an area where hard freezes are common, you must winterize your pool equipment and piping before covering your pool.
- In milder climates, keeping your pump running normally should be enough to keep the water moving and your pool from freezing.
- Use spas normally and enjoy them regularly throughout the winter months. It is not a good idea to close your spa unless it won’t be used for at least three months.
Steps to Follow in Hard Freeze Areas
- Balance your pool water by adding shock treatment (can be either chlorinated or non-chlorinated).
- Lower the water level to below the skimmer.
- Use a blower or compressor to clear pipes and equipment and plug the pipes at the pool.
- Add swimming pool antifreeze to the lines to prevent freezing.
- Place a sealing device in the skimmer to seal it and absorb ice pressure. Ask your local pool retailer or contractor for more details about devices for this purpose.
- Install your safety cover or winter tarp cover using water tubes to secure. Rain and snow can add hundreds of pounds of pressure to your winter pool cover. A pool cover pump will keep standing water from weighing it down and will extend the life of your cover.
Steps to Follow in Milder Climates
- Keep your water pump running during periods of below freezing temperatures.
- Maintain a balanced water level throughout the off-season months and sanitize regularly.
- Although it is optional, a winter cover or safety cover might be very helpful.
For all your questions and concerns about pool protection and winterizing, visit our website or give us a call! As a top pool builder in Katy and Houston, we are experts in the field.
For more information, please Contact us